This page provides a brief description of a Progressive Web App (PWA) and its relationship to the Magento PWA Studio project.
What is a Progressive Web App
A Progressive Web App, or PWA, is a web application that uses modern web technologies and design patterns to provide a reliable, fast, and engaging user experience.
The following features define a basic PWA website:
- Fast - PWA sites use a variety of performance optimization strategies to provide a responsive experience or load content fast, even on slow networks.
- Secure - PWA sites use HTTPS connections for enhanced security.
- Responsive - PWA sites implement responsive design strategies to provide a consistent experience on desktops, tablets, and mobile devices.
- Cross-browser compatible - PWA sites work equally well on all modern browsers, such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari.
- Offline Mode - PWA sites cache content to ensure that some content can be served when a user is offline.
- Mobile “Install” - Mobile users can add PWA sites to their home screens and even receive Push notifications from the site.
- Shareable content - Each page in a PWA site has a unique URL that can be shared with other apps or social media.
What is the Magento PWA Studio project
The Magento PWA Studio project is a set of developer tools that allow for the development, deployment, and maintenance of a PWA storefront on top of Magento 2. It uses modern tools and libraries to create a build system and framework that adheres to the Magento principle of extensibility.
The Magento PWA Studio project provides the following tools: